Top of the page.
Skip the menu to main contents.
Move to main menu
Skip to main contents
Skip to category menu
Skip to footer contents
Main menu starts here.
Skip the main menu to current location in your website

GAA passport for Member Services

As part of the GAA passport for member services, members of the GAA institutes who are working in Japan are eligible to receive benefits, such as attendance at seminars or library services. If you have any questions or inquiries regarding GAA Passport benefits, please contact JICPA at


Information about the CPA and the JICPA:

1. How can I become a Certified Public Accountant (CPA)?

All candidates who wish to become or to be recognized a CPA qualification in Japan must firstly pass the CPA Examination stipulated in the Certified Public Accountants Act (CPA Act) of Japan. CPA Examination is conducted annually by the Certified Public Accountants and Auditing Oversight Board (CPAAOB), an advisory body to the Financial Services Agency of Japan. Candidates must be able to take the CPA Examination in Japanese, and there are no exceptional measures or exemptions permitted for holders of foreign countries' CPA or Chartered Accountant qualifications.
Candidates must also meet other requirements such as practical experience and professional accounting education before licensed.
For more information of how to become a CPA in Japan, please visit:

2. What are the membership requirements of the JICPA?

JICPA membership is open to those who have passed the CPA Examination conducted by the Certified Public Accountants and Auditing Oversight Board (CPAAOB). There is no international member category for those qualified under foreign institutions. Registration with JICPA is mandatory to practice as CPAs in Japan.

GAA Passport Benefits:

3. What are the GAA Passport benefits and how do I register for these benefits?

GAA members visiting Japan are eligible to receive the following benefits:

  • Access to JICPA library services
  • Attendance at selected seminars conducted in English
    (Seminar invitation will be issued on "News Flash" )

Public Practice:

4. Will I be able to use my home designation/license in Japan?

It is prohibited for those without a CPA qualification granted by the Financial Services Agency of Japan to use the letters "公認会計士(Koninkaikeishi) " or "CPA" after their names even if they hold those designations in their countries, unless they specifically indicate that it is a designation granted by that other jurisdiction. "公認会計士(Koninkaikeishi)" or CPAs are accounting professionals of Japan who have passed the CPA Examination and granted a license by Financial Services Agency of Japan. "公認会計士(Koninkaikeishi)" or CPAs are exclusively licensed to audit or attest financial documents for fees at the request of others under Article 2-1 of the CPA Act.

Footer contents starts here.
Page ends here.
Move to top of the page.